Monday, February 11, 2008

Get out there Virginia..

and Maryland, and DC.

Sounds weird, but I haven't missed a single election- not even for dog catcher- since I cast my first vote at 18 in 1979. I know there are those that rail that it no longer matters. Screw you. Voting was considered a sacred duty in my family. And I pound that concept into my children. As citizens of a free society, flawed as it might be, you have an obligation and indeed a duty to make the time to go forth and cast your vote.

Many people have died for that right, many still fight to be allowed that basic component of individual dignity. And it only actually works if we go forth and exercise that liberty . There is no doubt a great deal currently wrong with this country. I decry and fear on a nearly daily basis the leaders and events that have gotten us to this point. I am in no way an idealistic individual, I'm a hard nosed pragmatist. But I still have the faith, and I still believe that participatory democracy can indeed work. But only if the people do their part and do indeed participate and make their voices heard.

That said- I hear any shit about "hanging chads" in Florida, I might just start organizing a mob..

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Have fun making your voice heard in the "Potomac Primaries!"

evilganome said...

I vote in every election. Usually, these days I am holding my nose and voting against someone.

Unlike you, I really don't believe my participation counts. I just vote out of pure cussedness. I think this country and the system are so broken that there won't be any significant change in our lifetime.

That said, maybe as long as I keep it up my grandchildren will wind up with a country that actually does care about its citizens, by which I mean the actual tax paying people of the country and not the leaching corporate citizens that "need" tax breaks and corporate welfare to survive.

Doralong said...

Elizabeth- Yeah we had to be special like that and not just go ahead and get it over with last Tuesday..

Tony- Often I end up doing the same here of late as well.. But I really have to still believe, because the alternative is more than I can bear.

Anonymous said...

I always vote, and get extremely pissed at those that choose not to. It is their right not to, but as you said, there has been lots of blood spilled for the right of self determination, and it is shameful to treat the privilege of voting so casually.

Hill or 'bama?

Willym said...

I've voted in every election in Canada since 1964 - is that possible - and once even voted for the Rhino Party just as a protest. Sadly people don't understand that spoiling a ballot also counts as a vote. I'm suggesting to friends that in the next Canadian election we all spoil our ballots - except the politician are too f....g stupid to get it.

Doralong said...

Tate- Me too! Well I like a lot of things about both of them, but have been backing Hill due to her views on gay marriage. Who ever comes out on top gets my full blessing this go around!

Wills- And they probably wouldn't get it, but I get where you're coming from! I was however heartened that only 10% of the Republicans turned out vs 20% of the democrats.. I'm trying to consider it a hopeful sign for the general elections!

Kimberly Ann said...

Voting is a sacred duty. Too bad actually counting those votes isn't too. Sigh.

Doralong said...

KA- Sad, but oh so damn true.. I'm trying to keep the faith girl, I swear I am.

Lorraine said...

Amen, Cuz. I know how flawed the system is but whenever someone starts pissing and moaning about not voting because blah blah blah, I get het up in that way our family are wont to do. Don't complain to me about the state of the nation if you can't get your lazy ass to the polls. Don't complain to me about the state of the state, the state of the city or the state of your block if you haven't bothered to show up. Bitching about the public schools? Did you pay any attentiont to the field of candidates for school board or did you just skip that part of the ballot...

See...worked up.