Monday, March 17, 2008

This is just not right-

This angers me in such a visceral way I can't say much more other than to quote and link.. I just haven't the words. The US government is slaughtering one of the last herd of free buffalo. Is this not the people's land? Should we not have a say in this?? I've seen the herds in Yellowstone, and it is at once an awesome sight and a sad and heartrending moment to realize the range these creatures once had before we started the wholesale and useless slaughter..

This winter alone, more than 1,000 wild bison have been brutally killed by the National Park Service and the Montana Department of Livestock -- or shipped to slaughterhouses.

And come May, newborn calves are just as likely to be killed as their mothers.

We cannot stand by and let this massacre continue: Send a protest message now.

Right now, it's still winter in Yellowstone, and these unsuspecting buffalo are following historic migratory routes in search of food at lower elevations where there is less snow.

When the buffalo venture near or beyond the park's boundary, they will continue to be rounded up and killed -- unless we start a national outcry.

What makes this sacrifice so senseless is that it's all to protect 12 to 16 domestic cows and steers that graze near the park from the theoretical risk of a disease -- brucellosis -- that has never been transmitted from bison to cattle in a natural setting.

Yes, you read those numbers right: 1,000 wild bison slaughtered to protect a little more than a dozen cows outside the park that have most likely been vaccinated against the disease, or easily could be.

Please speak out and stop the slaughter. Yellowstone's buffalo are a national treasure: America's last, free-roaming herd. The National Park Service should be their guardian, not their executioner.

Take a moment if you're so inclined

9 comments:

sageweb said...

That is horrible. Who figures these things out? It makes me sick.

Anonymous said...

No, it's not right, it's horrifying. Email sent!

billy pilgrim said...

it's disgusting.

what about ted turner? can't ted save these poor creatures?

Sling said...

It's unnaceptable!..Have you ever seen one of these beasts up close?..They are simply magnificent.

Anonymous said...

Makes my heart sick. Done!

evilganome said...

Pretty horrifying and sickening. I sent off my email.

Jeff said...

Late to the party, but sent my email as well.

Kimberly Ann said...

I'm shocked by this. Really shocked.

more cowbell said...

Awful!! One of my best early childhood memories was my parents taking us out to see the buffalo when we lived in Kansas. I remember we drove a long way to wherever this place was, and there was a playground my sister and I played on, but the best part was seeing the buffalo -- I still remember those magnificent bodies, their huffing breaths, and their huge eyes, looking backwards at me.

This is just idiotic.

And would these cows not end up being slaughtered anyway? Bastards.