Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hola!

Yes, they let us back across the border, imagine that...

Just a quick hey y'all to the one or two people that would be concerned if we had been incarcerated at the airport. The proverbial good time was had by all, the scuba diving was quite good, the ruins were epic, the sand sandy and the sun sunny- all in all an excellent trip. Just wanted to share a quick story that really struck me.

On the morning of the inauguration the boys had booked some windsurfing lessons, as the Hurricane really was dying to go, and Tuesday was more or less our one relax and chill day. Miss Thing and I were no way in hell going to miss the swearing in and had assumed it would be CNN in the room. Hell no! Here I was in Mexico, at a resort mostly frequented by nice folks from Europe and South America and they showed it in it's entirety on the big ass wide screen in the lobby bar and also live at the theater on a full sized cinema screen. I opted for the bar. Sue me, I was on vacation people...

So here we sit, in a bar in Mexico watching an American President taking the oath of office. Which in and of itself was somewhat surreal, I can assure you. Things were just getting started and the lovely bartender, who by then knew me well- probably due to my propensity to tip heavily, hands me a bottle of champagne and two glasses. I guess I must have given him a slightly startled look and he just smiled and said "Congratulations!"

As President Obama put his hand on the bible the place literally stopped. Waiters, bartenders, bellmen, tourists- damn near everyone was rooted in place. I admit, I teared up when the oath was taken and my heart felt so much lighter and hopeful. And then a very strange thing happened. All of these people erupted in spontanious cheers and clapping. People started congratulating the few Americans there, smiling, hugging and laughing. Complete strangers, most of whom were not my fellow countrymen, were celebrating this moment. I must say, it really does give me hope for the future, something I have been sorely lacking these last few years.

Here's to hope my friends! It's going to be a tough row to hoe and perhaps people might have finally realized it's going to take all of us to get through it.

Now I really need to go start on the laundry and go to the grocery- back to reality.

10 comments:

Willym said...

WELCOME BACK! Let's see the tan ine!

Willym said...

see how excited I was ... that should have been tanline!

sageweb said...

Oh welcome back, and what a great thing to experience. WHat an awesome day it was.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, you deserve it. though I envy you at the moment, what with the -21 degree temperatures outside my door. GRRR.

Sling said...

I hope you realize the magnitude of Obama's Inauguration dear..Yep,..we can stop telling people in foreign countries that we're Canadian!
Welcome back doll!

evilganome said...

Glad to have you back! I'm even happier to hear you had a great time. I'll talk to you soon and get the details.

Elizabeth said...

Welcome back! I hope the sun and sea gave you all the R&R you needed. And inauguration day! That was medicine for all our souls! Yay!

Doralong said...

Wills- really honey at my age I hide them..

Sage- It was and it was :)

Al- I'm allergic to winter. If I can only get medical verification perhaps my insurance company can do something about getting me out of the cold!

Sling- Exactly!! Although for some weird reason people assume I'm either french or spanish. Don't ask me...

Hey T- Slacking on the catching up! I'll check in on you and Alice this weekend.

Elizabeth- I think sales of antidepressants have dropped slightly nationwide the past week or so.

Tate said...

I never had so many people congratulating me as well, while I was in Whistler. Everytime I opened my mouth to speak, and they knew I was a yank, all the Aussies and Kiwis would slap me on the back and congratulate us Americans on our new President. Pretty amazing. Bush was despised the world over...

more cowbell said...

Hey, I'm playing catch up after my computer dying last month. So nice to read about this. I've been wishing I could go back for a visit to Hungary now. At the time we left, folks were NOT happy with the Bush administration - and that was before it got really bad.

So glad you had a good trip. Sounds heavenly. Yes, I'm jealous, you know how I get about the sun. Praise be to Ra.