Friday, October 26, 2007

Such a lovely lunch-

It was a most excellent lunch. And a very happy day. And also a very sad one..

A brilliant meal- beautiful steak and stilton salad, excellent wine pairing as well. Happy chat, big hugs all around. Retired to the back sitting room (we're semi family, as the chef/owners of the favorite place are dear friends) and then started the talking in earnest. I so very much miss ole' Buddyboy. Once in a blue moon, you find that kindred soul that everything just works with.. That's me and the big guy. Many people never got it (ah-screw them, whatever) a rare few did.. The accusations that we'd been separated at birth might not have been that far off. To those of you that refuse to understand that a straight guy and a woman can really be the best of friends, you're morons..

Now I admit the whole having the best job in the universe thing was excellent, no doubt about it. But I'd give damn near anything just to have my best buddy back nearby. You know that one person that always gets you, and requires no explanation, finishes your sentences and always knows what's lurking in your heart- even if you might not have figured it out yet yourself.. Yeah, that's my boy.

So, once upon a time I promised the explanation of the moniker.. I'm a big fan of Robert A. Heinlein. "Time Enough for Love" being a personal favorite. Boss used to joke that I was his Dora- the machine incarnation.. If you haven't read it, it's way too much to explain you'll just have to read the damn book- sorry.. But for those of you that have- he found his Maureen ;) And I was so, so happy for them both! I planned the damn wedding people.. And lucky for us that she always understood our relationship. An amazing woman, he’s a lucky SOB to have her.

So, we stood at the back door and just both tried not to totally break down- just hung on to each other and watched it rain for quite a while. Got the best hug I’ve ever had- and cried all the way home. Not necessarily in a bad way, both happy and sad. Happy for the time together, as always- but sad to miss the just hanging out time together.. I just want my Buddyboy back.

Yes, I really am jut selfish like that.. But it is still good to know that no matter what, my Buddyboy will always be there, no matter how far away he might wander.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a bitter/sweet post here m'dear. I too had a straight guy friend who was my most kindred of spirits. Granted...I went and ruined it by falling madly head over heels in love with him but we had a few good years first! When he called me to inform me that he was engaged, I threw up.

Doralong said...

'Twas indeed.. why the hell he had to move to NOLA and screw up our perfect little life, I'll never know.

Yeah, we do have a total love thing going on- but not the romantic type ;) In spite of what some people have said. But it is nice to know in a way that not a damn thing has changed and we always will love one another, time and distance may be bothersome, but he'll always be my Buddyboy and I'll always be his Dora.

Sorry Hatty Bat- but the heart will do what it will do after all.. Nothing ventured after all-

Anonymous said...

Oh, let the tongues wag... You and he both know the score, and it sounds like a wonderful friendship. If he is as attractive as you are, I'm sure the townfolk were seething with jealousy. Dry those tears sunshine, don't mourn. The two of you were more fortunate in your wonderful frienship than most people achieve in a lifetime of forced intimacy. A blessing on the house of Dora...

Willym said...

A touching and loving post. To have found someone - regardless of their sex - that is a like-soul is a wonderful thing in this world. It happens so rarely that, as do you, it is a relationship that should be treasured. You are one very lucky person and so equally is he.

Doralong said...

Tate- You hit the nail on the head. Yep, he does actually happen to be quite a looker. So naturally people had to make with the gossip. Imagine the confusion when I planned their wedding ;) I still have my dear one- I just wish he wasn't so damn far away!

Willym- I am very, very lucky indeed.

Lorraine said...

That is super sweet. The Hat and I will be discussing it over coffee.

HA!

Thanks for sharing.

Doralong said...

lorraine- You two are lucky I have the hide of a rhino ;)

Sling said...

I've had female friends over the years,but the guy I think of as my best friend,I haven't seen in 20 years.It's great you guys can get together,however infrequently.

Doralong said...

Sling- I consider every moment we can get face to face these days most precious. But, even if it should be only once in a blue moon, I expect it wouldn't change a damn thing.. which makes both of us damn lucky.

PS- Dude, call him, just because... I have a rule, should you think of some one out of the blue, call them- just because.