Monday, August 04, 2008

I'm back Dear ones!!!

Much like Katrina, the brave souls of NOLA survived me hitting town too.. I had a ball! In spite of the ghastly heat, the rain, the oil spill and the grumpy husband (he had to actually WORK) I sashayed forth and had myself a fine time.

So the recap -cause I promised Tate, Wills and Tony. And fair warning to Al, syntax, grammar, punctuation and proper usage went right on out the door with this one honey..


The trip down was more or less uneventful. I however must state for the record I hate flying. Not the actual being in the air part, that bothers me not one whit. The bullshit that now accompanies getting in and out of the airport before one can actually embark or disembark one’s flight has become damn near unendurable as far as yours truly is concerned. The trip back? That's a whole 'nuther very long post in and of itself..

Anyhoo.. got in late, so we more or less grabbed a drink, ate and fell in bed. Sunday was hot, but pleasant- did a walkabout with the Beast. The heat was more than he could manage, so we decided to take in a movie just for the hell of it- not to mention the air conditioning!

Beastman had to start actually working Monday, so little ole’ me unleashed herself on the unsuspecting citizens of La Nouvelle Orléans for the rest of the week. Long, long meanders through the Vieux Carré. No particular destination, which in my opinion is the best sort of walk to take after all.. And lovely long strolls up St. Charles, turning left or right depending on the mood of the moment.

The thing I adore about NOLA, aside from the genuinely friendly folks, is the fact it’s one of those cities I always feel genuinely at home in. I like visiting LA, but I feel like a stranger in a strange land, ditto for NY (ironic that I lived there a bit) and Miami. There are a few cities however that I have instantly fallen in love with and could quite happily settle down in- Savannah, Charleston, San Francisco and NOLA. And oddly enough I am generally taken for a citizen of said fair cities when there, which says nothing about me, but speaks volumes about the manner in which I felt welcomed into those lovely places.

Yes, I digress, as usual..

So I ate, and ate and ate.. Dressed up, why yes I can tell you’re shocked. Indulged in retail therapy, had some fab cocktails- dang do I love Herbsaint and Sazeracs- boy howdy!! And walked an insane amount, given the heat.

OK, you’re bored- so the highlights..

Hanging with my dear sweet Buddyboy (and Mrs. Buddyboy)- numero uno and the entire reason I decided to be baggage on this trip. The new house is lovely. Up St. Charles and 4 blocks riverside on a street that discretion keeps me from naming.. We had a delightful visit and a long chat, followed by an exquisite late lunch at La Petite Grocery on Magazine St.. to die for!! Fantastic! Went back to the house and had another long chat fest before I had to head back downtown. As usual it was a bittersweet state of affairs, consisting of him joking about convincing me to move and me pointing out the painfully obvious.. Both of us managed not to cry. OK, I did get a bit teary on the streetcar, I admit it. It’s hard to be reminded someone that close to you emotionally is so far away physically. And we had a lovely lunch the following day and a bit shorter visit- not like the man can just stop working for me.. So I was happy as always to spend some time with my dear friend, and very sad at parting. Email and phone calls are all well and good, but for people that have known one another so long they can finish each other’s sentences and have a conversation with a few well-placed expressions, the distance can be a bit sad.

Went to Dickie Brennan’s for dinner with the big bosses (doing the charming wife thing- yes, I know that’s one hell of a stretch) and John Goodman held the door for me like a perfect gentleman.. He's really lost a lot of weight.

I met the most adorable retired drag queen, henceforth known as Mr. Charles. It was early in the morning and raining so my umbrella and I went walking. I think that’s a great time to see any city myself, as the tourists stay in. So I took a walkabout with no particular destination.

Way the hell down near the end of Chartres I see a very wet Scottie running down the middle of the street about to have an unpleasant altercation with a trash truck. The little guy way trailing a leash, so I just grabbed for it (sorry but I really had no desire to get squished either) and reeled him in. Thankfully do harm done! Well I checked the little guy’s collar and it said “Edgar” and had a phone number. Humm, since I had Monsieur Edgar, an umbrella and a bag in the pouring rain I decided to set off in the general direction he came from prior to trying the juggling act of dog, umbrella, bag and cell whilst reading his collar..

About two blocks down an older gentleman in a white linen suit (obviously bespoke) started with a pearl clutching wail of “Edgar, you nearly ended my life!!!” Well, I rightly assumed we had found Monsieur Edgar’s Daddy.

Well bless his heart, the dear thing thanked me and offered me breakfast and I really did attempt to refuse.. I think the term we’re looking for is “force of nature”. Granted I was going to walk him on home anyway since I had a dirty shivering doggie in my arms that would have totally trashed his suit,. and the old dear had both a cane and umbrella.. I agreed to walk home with him for the aforementioned reason but stated quite clearly that I had no intention of putting him out..

He clearly had other intentions, or merely chose not to hear me. My money is on the former as opposed to the latter.

We entered an apartment I can only describe as “apartment as a Fabergé egg”, or Diana Vreeland’s apartment in miniature. Nope, never been there, but I’ve seen enough pictures.

Well I was pretty well a soaked, muddy mess and terrified of the upholstery and carpets.. He tried to collect the dog but I opted to ask for a towel before letting Edgar near that suit! So, with Monsieur Edgar dried off, and comfortably being chastised (i.e.- loved within an inch of his little life) Mr. Charles instructed (I think demanded is closer) me to go dry off and wash up for breakfast. Let’s just say that was a Yes Ma’am situation.. Those of you that know me well realize I can be a bit forceful myself– so you can imagine the type of personality it takes for me to be obedient..

What an utterly delightful morning! After I tided up as best I could, Mr. Charles made me coffee, forced me to take a healthy snort of Herbsaint (to ward off a chill- umm humm) and took me on a tour of his precious apartment. Aside from the fact that it was absolutely gorgeous, the pictures were beyond fascinating! Mr. Charles and his partner (who passed in 2003) all over the world, Mr., Charles in full drag as a headliner in the late seventies through the eighties. Part of me felt so sad that he had lost his love of nearly 50 years, but part of me felt so happy that he had such a wonderful time- and frankly still was enjoying life. Anyway the old dear insisted on breakfast and I refused unless I cooked ;) So we fussed in the kitchen together. We came up with an unusual variation on eggs benedict, but it was pretty damn good if I do say so myself. An interesting morning, and a lovely new friend. Since he doesn’t do electronics, we’ll continue the friendship via snail mail. Damn, I hope my personalized stationary is up to snuff.. it's engraved, y'all think that will be OK??

*An aside- I did go back to say goodbye to the old dear before I left (and show him all the dresses I bought) and the hugs and tears made me feel like I really was taking leave of an old and dear friend, funny, huh??

Let’s see, after that I could recount all the meals in minutiae and so forth and bore you to tears (why yes, I am actually aware you probably got there quite some time ago) but let it suffice to say it was lovely, other than those couple of being the obligatory charming wife bits with the big bosses.. I had a hell of a good time.

I’m awfully pleased I talked myself into it.

19 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

welcome home sweetcakes..and oh my what a grand time you had..and making a new friend is just one of the best things that can happen to someone...

Anonymous said...

"So I ate, and ate and ate.."

And that's the main thing, after all. Welcome back.

Sling said...

Welcome back doll!
I found your account far from boring hon.
Charming would be more like it. :)

Jeff said...

What a lovely story- doesn't every gorl need a fairy godmother to look after her?

Welcome back...

more cowbell said...

Oh I love your story! In fact, for some odd reason, I'm getting images of a wonderfully illustrated children's book about Mr Charles and Edgar. (Republican spawn need not bother) Glad you had such a good time and brought good memories home.

Willym said...

Welcome home Lady - hope the place wasn't too much of a mess?

And why does it not surprise me that you made a new friend. He sounds wonderful. Sounds like Madame Destin sent Edgar out in the rain for a reason. I'm with Cowbell on the children's book.

Bet you just knocked those corporate bosses ass over tea kettle in that ... ahem ahem... red dress that we will... ahem ahem... being seeing a picture of shortly I'm ... ahem ahem... sure.

So tell us more.

evilganome said...

Glad to hear you had such a great time. And honey, what drag queen wouldn't just fall in love with you!

I guess my pal Dave is right. You can't swing a cat in NOLA without hitting a drag queen. Sounds like you have a great new friend. Talk to you soon.

Doralong said...

Granny- That's about the best thing about traveling, making new friends!

Citizen- There you have it! In my family it's not "where are you staying?" But "where do you have reservations???"

Sling- Aww, thank you precious!

Jeff- I've been blessed with a number of truly fabulous fairy godparents in my life ;)

CB- Funny, I thought about that on my way home. The illustrations alone would be brilliant! The Adventures of Edgar, Dora and Mr. Chsrles...

Wills- They were priceless! Both canine and human! As to the obligatory adoring spouse thing- you of all people know all about that BS.. I think may have scared them though.. but I really did try to be nice, I swear I did!! And the dress was in no way trashy, but it did stop traffic.

Tony- There you have it honey! And yes, for whatever reason the old queens always adore me.. Call you shortly precious!

sageweb said...

Welcome Back!. What a great time you had. I love the Edgar/ Mr. Charles story. I think it was destiny you would meet this man and his best friend.

Speck said...

What a delightful story! This chance encounter made it all worth the trouble.

Doralong said...

Sage- He's just precious and I do hope we keep writing. It's nice to get a real live letter in the mailbox!

Speck- Neither rain, nor humidity nor 100 degree temps will keep me from having fun!

booda baby said...

Days it's taken me to get back. And all I really wanted to say was 'This was such a romantic story!' I had the best time, envisioning you and your very literary morning with a character. Although you're no slouch in the character department yourself.

You do have a ridiculous amount of ... romance in your personality. Damn you. :) (I had to add that idiot smiley face, in the very off chance you didn't know I didn't mean that. Shit.)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back, and have the delicious stories to tell. I know you looked fabulous in that dress, and your chance encounter was charming as all hell. Interesting how people are thrust upon on us unexpectedly, only to realize after the initial shock, what a blessing that can be. Life is messy and beautiful, and sometimes runs down the middle of a street dragging a leash, waiting for us to grab hold. What a thrill ride. You are lovely, my friend!

Doralong said...

Booda- It's OK, I know that's your very sweet way of saying I'm frequently over the top ;)

Tate- Messy, complicated and often not at all what we're expecting. And how terribly dull it would be otherwise! After all, look at all the love grabbing your leash has brought me..

Mimi's Pa said...

I visited home s couple of years ago, just after Katrina, sat in Jqackson Square on a cool, sunny afternoon, the kind of the day when the place would normally be jumpin, jivin and wailin. It was deserted. I squirted a few crocodile tears. At least, I thought, lookin for a silver lining, the rain and wind may have washed away the house I grew up in in Lakeview forcin' ma to go to Baton Roue to live with sisters, but at least the storm also washed the mimes and the tarot card reader. Please tell me they haven't regrouped!
Did you actually walk uptown on St. Charles from the Quawtah? Round R.E. Lee Circle? That's a hike.

Elizabeth said...

Welcom back. Sounds like you had great food, adventures, and a fab time. Everything a girl could want.

Doralong said...

Oliver- Yep they're back.. And it's not such a bad walk if you make frequent stops ;) And cheat and use the streetcar through the somewhat less picturesque bits and such.

Elizabeth- Pretty damn close to it I must say.

Kimberly Ann said...

That sounds like the best darn trip ever. Mr. Charles sounds like something out of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (ok, New Orleans not Savannah, but you get the point). What an amazing person to meet.

Glad you had a great time.

Doralong said...

KA- He really was quite amazing. And as i got my first letter the other day I really do so hope we'll manage to keep up.. For Edgar's sake if nothing else, naturally..