Monday, September 08, 2008

Closets

Both metaphorical and literal..

All my loyal readers (all three of you) are well aware that I am in the blogging closet. Why? As previously noted this is my space to vent my various petty personal annoyances and random stupidity, with the occasional light- hearted fluff thrown in for good measure. Since most of said venting involves those nearest and dearest, having to severely edit myself would more or less make that impossible, no?

Recently a blogging buddy of mine inquired as to why I refrain from tackling the “larger: issues” more frequently- as I have no compunctions about littering the internet with vocal opinions on a variety of subjects using this nom de guerre, among others. Well dear heart, since you asked..

I need a place to process, a non -judgmental little hole to retreat to from time to time where the regulars are pleasant and quite charming. Sort of like the bar I worked in through college.. I like having a quiet little corner sans invective (other than my own naturally) that my over the top little self can just be my over the top little self. Self- editing takes many forms after all. In the course of a day I am a mother, daughter, sister, friend, businessperson, boss and involved community member. In all those various daily roles, in reality a small portion of the real me requires some judicious editing. In the end we all are a construct of the various aspects of our lives and personality when it comes to the totality of our psyche. I respect and admire people that can just lay the entirety of their life out there for all the world to see. I simply happen not be one of those people. Frankly many of the people I encounter daily I really have no desire for them to know any more about me than they need to.

Ah well, still waters may run deep my dears, but the turbulent ones often run far deeper, and with far more tumultuous currents.

Now, you’ll have to excuse me as I must clean out the shoe shrine and tidy up my closet in preparation for having to get back to showing up at a “real” office again every day next week. I rather think I’m ready for it, but I must admit, being able to work in jeans and my favorite old red cashmere sweater whilst barefoot with no make up has been rather a pleasant break from the prior 20 years of pulling out the suit and heels five days a week.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do it any way you want sugar. I had to cease my blog for a spell as you know, and must re-invent it now so I don't come up on google. It caused me to lose jobs, when clients could reach my personal blog and read about my life (they were homophobes, so no real loss, but it got me thinking that a degree of privacy is in order). Good luck this week! I am sure you will adjust with very little effort. You are fabulous.

evilganome said...

You just carry on the way you are, darlin'. I wouldn't have you any other way. I have probably put too much information about myself up on the internet, but then I don't much care, since privacy is pretty much dead anyway.

I don't write too much about larger issues either. It's enough that I write about managing to cope with the world on a small day to day basis. I guess I am more of an Austen than a Tolstoy.

sageweb said...

I have always been careful never to talk too much about friends/relatives. I am always worried that people will find my blob. Not that I would say bad things about friends, but I would about family. I just like my blob world and it is nice without people you see everyday peering in at what you do...

Good luck at the new job.

Anonymous said...

It's your blog. Period. I occassionally tackle "larger" issues becaue I feel like it, but I don't want to be told to. I want to write what I want to, and most of the time that's just day to day stuff.

yellowdoggranny said...

hey, it's your party over here...you play the music and dance any dance you want...i like it a lot

Doralong said...

Tate- Well we've indeed had that discussion honey.. a fine line it is. We'll see how you feel about that when you start getting the panicked phone calls dear.

Tony- I'm too old to change honey, we both know that. And if you're an Austen I cringe to think where I land.. Please, oh please don't say Danielle Steel!!!!!!! I beg you!

Sage- There you have it dear heart- and you're too damn nice for anyone to get up in arms. No, really and I love that about you.

Citizen- As a mental health professional you recognize the need for a safe place ;) And I like yours a whole lot, and always either learn something or come away smiling..

Granny- I dig yours too, I wanna be you when I finally grow up!

Gavin said...

I'm with the rest here. It's your place so share what you see fit. The great thing about the blogosphere is that we're all different and the sites we create are as unique!

Doralong said...

Gavin- What you create never ceases to amaze me- please never stop!!

Tony Adams said...

You don't need me to tell you that a blog is a performance. Some write from their own actual experience. Others from their imagination. Some others, from both. Who cares? Everyone writes from hunger.

Doralong said...

Father T- Indeed- who cares? My own little virtual plot to cast forth that which strikes my fancy keeps me sane. I do however greatly admire the complete honesty that you throw out there.

The hunger indeed- I do desire to connect with a world and an experience that is not my own. To learn and understand an existence which would be alien to me. That would be my personal attempt at what most would term personal evolution ;) And I must say the various paths my virtual friends have led me on have truly made me a better person. Your viewpoints included.

billy pilgrim said...

jeans and cashmere sound tres classy to me.

Sling said...

Whatever would we do without our alter egos?..

Doralong said...

Billy- probably not when combined with no make up and bare feet :)

Sling- No doubt about that my friend, no doubt at all!

Willym said...

Hey Lady - you pays the bills you calls the tune! And some mighty fine tunes they are too.

But you are right there are certain things you just don't write about. I will write about friends and relatives but seldom about the problems I know they are going through. I will not discuss Italian politics or policies - okay on ocassion when its just been too funny or scary - because I am a guest here. I don't often write about American politics because I am an outsider and have no right judge another country - though that doesn't stop me from commenting on other people's blogs. I won't write about my or Laurent's work because our government, rightly, frowns on that. So what's left? Well like the rest of us even without those topics seems I got enough to keep going for a while. As indeed do you.

You know I'm thinking of your first week back in an office and damn I bet you look fine in that suit and shoes. Can I guess red?