Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hey there- come on in..

Sorry, haven't gotten unpacked or hung the drapes and such.. But y'all are more than welcome.

So I guess one has to give a little background or some such on the virgin run? Or not? Well I guess we'll hit the high points and if the nasty bits come later, so be it.

Let's see, since we've just met I guess introductions and such are in order. Blog name- my Mamma met any challenge head on and with a brass pair for a tiny little woman. But she'd always ask the question "What would Jackie wear?". And indeed, as odd as it may sound to some of you, if you're dressed properly for the occasion, you'll be able to manage most anything. My story, sticking with it.

Blogger name- read your Heinlein. Old joke. Perhaps I'll expound at some later date, then again, perhaps not.

My life- coming up on 46, and have no problem with that. Other than some gravity induced issues, I'm a much more interesting person than I was in my twenties. Two kids- 9 and 15. yes the second one was planned and you can't imagine the number of people that have the unmitigated gall to ask. Husband- same guy for 27 years, yes I am serious. Lived together for quite a while, as I wanted to make sure it was going to take before thinking about rings, vows and kids.

My current life situation is in a huge state of flux at the moment. Let's see.. Well, I had the single best job ever, working with the most amazing people one could ever hope to be associated with and it came to a screeching halt. Nothing evil, Boss actually packed up and moved to NOLA to help change things in respect to health care delivery. I admire and respect him immensely for this, but frankly still have rather a case of the ass that my perfect little work life got shot to hell.. If you're reading this Boss, you know I love you like my own demented brother and wish you all the best the universe can give you. But I'm still annoyed.

So after spending my entire adult life doing the go to the office thing every day, I find myself doing freelance from home and dealing with the two heathens 24/7, since school is out. If anyone has any tips on how to manage this without going starkers and any insight as to how the hell you structure your time, get something done and not go mad- please, I beg you let me know!!!!!!! I'm having adjustment issues here.


Ok the basic things that make me get up every day- which may tell you something, but then again perhaps not.

Things I love:

My family. I do joke about them and tease them without mercy, but love them more than my own life.

My friends- see above.

Food- love to cook it, eat it, watch other people cook it or write about it.. you get the picture.

My home. Every morning when I wake up and see the view from my kitchen window, it just blows me away. Even after 15 years. The sunrise, the fog ,the lightning, the rainbows. Bears, foxes and other assorted critters. It's a damn fine place to be.

Movies, all kinds of movies.

Books, all kinds of books.

Shoes. Hi I'm Dora, I'm a Shoe-a-holic.. I catch a lot of crap from my uber feminist sisters about this one.. But really was this not what Betty, Gloria and all the other women that fought before us really did stand up for? It's OK to be YOU? Be your own version of female, working, not working, sweats and sneaker or suits and stilettos, kids or no kids?? Let's quit sniping at one another ladies and focus that energy on the patriarchy instead!!!!!!!

My country. I love my country. But my government scares the shit out of me.

Things I hate:

Bad manners. No excuse for it people- none. My nine year old knows better.

Crazy right wing religious freaks. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't hate anyone, other than hypocrites..

The current administration. Can we say Bat.Shit.Crazy anyone? Man has 666 somewhere on the back of his pointy damn head.

The War- yeah well, see above.

Homophobes. It's a miracle to find love in this world. Is it any of your damn business who SOMEONE ELSE finds it with??

People that think anyone south of the Mason-Dixon line is some sort of inbred moron. If I started making Jersey jokes or slamming blondes from the OC, y'all would say I was being a bigot.. Check yourselves please.

People that can't parallel park, but keep trying over and over to get into that last damn spot..

Hummers- there is just no need for this outside of military action- period. Yep I do drive a smallish SUV- I live on the top of a mountain at the tail end of 2 miles of bad dirt. And it SNOWS here people. Why the hell does someone in Miami or LA need a 4 wheel drive that damn huge?? Hell nobody in Montana needs one of those damn things either, they're smart they have actual trucks or Jeeps for a real specific reason.. Buy a damn Jaguar, I'm sure the gas mileage has to be a hell of a lot better- and it's a much more elegant mode of transport if you have that kind of money to blow on a car.


So thus ends the condensed version of my reality- Be well and go forth and be nice to your fellow humans please. Perhaps more will come, or I'll freak out that I did this much and that will be the end of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First Commentor ever? I feel honored! Welcome to your new addiction, hope it is fun filled, and that you learn as much about yourself as you can take. Thank you for the information you left for me on my blog, and good luck on your new past time! I'll be back for sure, you already snagged my attention. Fine writing here, and I like your worldview...

Doralong said...

Tater-

You're just precious! Given where you were raised, you know exactly what that really means..

And I hope the info helped your Mamma- if you need more, let me know. I have a decade or so of managing to get people where they need to be for the best care. My referral files are pretty large.

Anonymous said...

Betty, Gloria and all the other women that fought before us really did stand up for? It's OK to be YOU? precisely. hello sister.

Sara Sue said...

Big Ass Bella stole my comment!

We have very similar stories you and I. Tar heel here but implanted to N. California for nigh on to 40 years now.

My dream job that I loved to get up in the morning for was stolen by the Borg.

I'd like to add you as a link on my blog ... but my place is kinda dirty. No wait, it's filthy. NSFW. Let me know if it's ok to add you.

In any case, I'll be back.

The Governator

Anonymous said...

sara sue- not even close to filthy ;) Oh, dang- sorry if that was what you were going for there sister.. I'd be honored..