Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Job Hunting sucks-

Job hunting sucks.. I’ve had the luxury of working from home for a couple of months, and it’s been rather pleasant in most respects. I grant you, I became more than a bit unhinged the first few weeks, it’s amazing how we all depend on our routines to keep us sane. The first three days at home I got up, got dressed and came upstairs to roust the kiddos for school and realized I was in a suit and heels. OK, so they thought it was hysterical, me I was mildly embarrassed actually. But now it’s time to get my ass out there and get a new job. This prospect is really, really upsetting me.. No, I’m not a lazy slob that doesn’t want to work.. It’s that whole process of resumes, and interviews and rejections and judgment that annoys the hell out of me.

I came to the realization about a month ago that I don’t even have a resume any longer, I haven’t needed one for more than ten years! Having helped numerous people compose their resumes through the years, I presumed this was going to be simple. Umm, not so much. Complete and utter brain meltdown. Given the chaos I used to manage on a daily basis, I have no idea where to start in describing my prior job. It’s gotten to the point where I’m ready to abdicate and just hire a bloody writing service and hand it over. Cop out, I know. Pathetic, perhaps.. but in the long run it may be worth the money just to save myself an ulcer.

I am also coming to the realization that according to a large percentage of “hiring entities” I have no job skills. Dang, who’d have seen that one coming? No, really- I didn’t. Let’s see, managed a medical practice, which involves a couple of hundred balls in the air at the same time. Juggled scheduling and other personal matters for the Boss, as he had (has) a side gig as a media personage, as it were… more or less became the personal assistant as well. So, the capacity to do 20 things simultaneously, run a business and a household doesn’t qualify me for anything because I don’t fucking know Power Point???? Yep- I’m a little pissed about the entire thing.

I’m getting a wee bit tired of people assuring me I’ll have no problem finding a job. Guess what y’all? I am!!! Well, I guess this is nice- in most of these cases these lovely people know me professionally and are judging me to be a competent person. On the other hand I’ve heard it often enough that I want to scream.. I’m 46, I have two kids and it took me a while to figure out that this may well have something to do with my current dilemma. Or perhaps I’m just being paranoid.

But the genuine reality of the matter is, I was spoiled. Rotten. I worked for someone that respected me, I had the flexibility to be Mom when ever I needed to, hell the kids had their own room upstairs. I worked with hands down the most amazing group of people I have ever known, and at the end of every day I felt like I had managed to help a few of my fellow humans. I was damn good at it, and it made me happy, most of the time.

So, I guess that my annoyance is a combination of things. My genuine grief at losing my work family, and my “skill set” which seems to be out of step with the rest of the universe.

Or I’m just feeling like whining today. My space, I’m allowed. This way the family doesn't have to hear it..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had the luxury of being in a secure place for the last 10 years. If our business dried up I would be S.O.L. "Uhmm, what did yu do for the last 10 yrs?"

"I took pictures of food."

"mmm-kayyyy. Not quite what we were looking for, thanks for stopping by..."

Frightening. Perhaps this is all a bit frightening for you as well (as it rightfully should be), change is always disconcerting. I am sure you have many contacts in the medical profession that can help you network your way into another mangerial position, but I am not sure what it is you are looking for. If you liked sales, i am sure you came in contact with tons of reps in your last job. I think that any small privately owned business would bend over backwards to find someone with your skill set. Don't give up the ghost.

Job hunting does suck.

But sucking isn't always that bad...

Anonymous said...

Yeah- SOL covers it.. "Uhh I was Queen of the Universe in my little world?" Yeah, not gonna fly. At this point I'm working for a decent retirement and the education of the munchkins- which does takes some pressure off.. But I think on the whole, it's that whole lack of respect thing..

And you're right sucking isn't always bad thing.. depends on where you are at the moment.

Anonymous said...

job hunting does suck. i threw out a few resumes six months ago when i was feeling disgusted with my business, thinking it would just be easier to go back to working for someone else.

i wouldn't be able to write a resume either. most of my skills are nontransferable ~ more child death investigations than any other person in the state, facility with working with juvenile rapists, kickass typesetter. who wants any of that? or someone whose been selling antiques for six years?

the only good thing about my job now is that, though i'm self employed, i'm incorporated and i can always fire myself and collect unemployment ;-)