Monday, July 23, 2007

Farm Subsidies-

Think about it- and raise some hell.. the farm subsidy programs have had nothing but an adverse impact on small farmers since just post depression.. Personally I rather like knowing the person that grows my food.. And I don't like seeing decent people get screwed. So go and let those asshats know that the individual farmer with a community and a family and a sense of accountability to the earth do matter.. Perhaps I'm biased, coming from farm people..

Go make with the support for the real american farmer, who is not a part of the big agribusiness. Personally I like knowing there's a family down the road with a working farm that can tend the land and not get sucked into the ArcherDanielsMidland scary ass form of what passes for food.

Farm subsidies these days help only big agribusiness, not the individual. So take a moment to let congress know it's a bad piece of legislation that needs to be reformed. Like many good ideas, it got perverted along the way by pork barrel politics and needs serious and lasting reforms.


I'm with dear old Mr. Earl on this one y'all..

6 comments:

Vic said...

I say amen to that. The small farmer rarely sees the money; while the fat cats and huge conglomerates get richer. The system has stunk for as long as I can remember.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you! Can you please fix the link in your post? I keep getting an error message and would like to lend my voice to yours...

Anonymous said...

Hey Tate-

Link shut down as today was the day of the vote..

Looks like Pelosi sold it down the river.. sad to day, since the chance only comes every 5 years on that mis-guided mess..

more cowbell said...

oh, guess i'm late ...

Anonymous said...

No worries kiddos- goes to the Senate in September. Time to start badgering those fools..

At this point it's a bill that makes NO ONE happy on either side of the aisle- so why the hell not actually reform the damn thing I ask???

Dropped subsidies to those making in excess of 1 million?? Don't know a single damn farmer in this county that grosses that much in a year.. Most of the farmers I know have kids that qualify for reduced lunch prices due to hovering around the poverty level..

ADM is the new Haliburton people..

Dan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I agree with you that farm subsidies suck and have been against them for years. Damned agribusiness! And then there are the hidden benefits ... like the govt letting big cattle conglomerates graze on public lands for pennies.