Monday, July 30, 2007

Ennui

Which is French for “I don’t currently give a shit”.. Yep that’s the word for it. Here of late I have a severe case of it. Not depressed, life isn’t awful- I just seem to be totally lacking in anything that resembles motivation, which is highly unusual for me. Here of late I look in the mirror and have no earthly idea who that woman is staring back at me. I find this most unsettling. Hell, I haven’t even bought a pair of shoes in four months, and that my friends is a record.

I had hoped it was just the dog days of summer.. not so much. I generally thrive in the heat. I wonder if I didn’t lose a bit of my identity when I ended up doing the part time working at home thing. There’s enough crap to do around the house that I’ve not had time to deal with to keep me occupied for a year easily. Getting my ass motivated to deal with it is another story. Lost my mojo somewhere along the line. Now this is not to say I’m laying about the house in a robe all day sighing deeply. Nope, get up and shower, do all the Mom stuff, house isn’t a wreck by any means.. get the part time stuff dealt with in a timely fashion- life does go on with some order more or less.

It just seems the old me isn’t really here at the moment. Perhaps she just needed a vacation. Perhaps I ought to just go with it for the moment. Or maybe I just have a case of the lazy right now. See, I can justify my way out of damn near anything. Short of working for the Shrub, I wonder if this qualifies as a job skill of some sort? Perhaps I ought to note it on my currently ignored by the hiring entities resume.

Hell- I just need to get out of the house more I expect and get over myself real quick.

5 comments:

Vic said...

Yes, I recognize the feeling. On days like that I just go with the flow, as my mother says, and revel in my nothingness, embracing it for what it is - a need for my mind and body to just relax and leave the world behind for a spell. Ever since I changed my attitude towards those periods of ennui, I reemerge rested.

Anonymous said...

I, too, recognize the feeling. I think it may have to do with the employment situation. When we are constantly on the go with career, family, household chores, we manage to hum right along and get 'er done, but once that schedule meets upheaval, our focus and ability to concentrate fly out the window. It happened to me when I switched careers, and it happened to my partner when he had to leave his job due to health reasons. Things seem to fall apart a bit, and then the mind kind of does it's own little shutdown. This was temporary of course, and it all got better once the mind acclimated. I'm sure you will shrug it off soon, and will be filled with your usual vim and vigor. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, please switch trees (I need to feel right today). Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

MP- I may as well roll with it, I could use the rest actually..

Tate- You're right, the bitchy old me will be back soon I'm sure. Honey, for you I'll be whatever tree that suits your barking.. I did always rather fancy myself as a Magnolia however.

BigAssBelle said...

girl, it is the heat. it's the straight overhead sun. it just sucks to be alive this time of year. this too shall pass.

more cowbell said...

Hey, have you been spying in my brain? I could've written that. That whole looking in the mirror thing [Who the hell IS that?] People generally don't realize, because, like you said, shit needs to get done, no laying around in a robe. But I've got a severe case of not giving a shit and feeling just ... blah. It's gone on for so long it's starting to seem normal.

It is definitely NOT the heat in my case. In fact, I really truly think it's the opposite. The everpresent chill here is doing me in, let alone the llloooonnnggg dark days in fall/winter.

Sorry I have no uplifting bits of cheery advice. I got nothing. But you're not alone.

-sigh-