Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Where everybody knows your name-

And they’re usually glad you came…

There are some good points and some bad ones about living in a fairly small place. No one ever asks for ID when you write a check. Car breaks down on the side of the road, someone you know will be along shortly. If you’re in the last gas pump next to the road that’s pre-pay only, yours will get authorized and can still write a check as soon as the clerk looks up and sees it’s you.. Your kids do something dumb, you’ll find out real quick..

There are some bad things as well. For one, running errands can take forever. The Beast doesn’t understand the length of time it takes to get things done. Years of telecommuting or commuting or a combination thereof has left him not so entrenched in the daily routine. Not that he’s anti social, he’s actually quite charming as a rule, he just doesn’t get out there as much as I do. Spending 15 years in the same place and 7 of those working for a popular doctor- you know a LOT of people.

It takes a little while to get shit dealt with when you have to speak to people. And for G.R.I.T.S. it's totally rude not to speak to people.. It's like white shoes after labor day, it's just not done. Again, the Beast doesn’t get it.. case in point, had some stuff to deal with today. Leave the house and head down the mountain, run into the Lord of the Lawn on his way up, stopped to chat for a moment about some plans we’re working on for the front of the house. Get another quarter of a mile and run into a neighbor that wants to chat. On we go..

Hit the gas station and fill up, cashier chats a moment or two and then asks if I can help a very lost couple from Jersey, fine. Get the very lost old folk pointed in the right direction. *Want the scenic route or want to drive back 20 miles or so and then turn left??* On to the dump (oh, the non-stop glamour) say hey to Keith, chat about the weather for a moment and unload the trash. Alrighty then, on to town proper.. Stop at the hardware store- say hey to Charlie chat for a few about his general health and his wife’s- hand over the lumber list and realize I totally forgot to take a piece of baseboard with me to match up. Starting to curse myself when he asks if it’s to finish the Beast’s office, no problem he knows what I need. Run back to pick up a few things and run into a former patient and have to do the twenty questions thing. Finally out of there.

Dry cleaners- you know the story by now. Bank and Post office- ditto.. And the man wonders why this takes time?? Not to mention the whole being about 12 miles from “town” thing, Don’t get me started on how long getting through the grocery store takes..

Funny, three decades ago this would be the last life I’d have ever seen myself in. Living in NYC with a couple of anorexic models and a Drag Queen, this would have been the very last damn life I’d have seen coming. The universe is indeed strange, but it really does have it’s own self leveling mechanisms. I want a dose of city, I’m close enough to get there for a day trip, I don’t want to screw with humanity I can hole up at home and not be bothered with it too much.

The Beast and I, the kids, the dogs and the bears and other assorted critters wandering about the back forty will stay put a while yet I expect. The world is totally strange sometimes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the moments people like us live for though, sweetie. What else would we have to write about, if we didn't slow down and take a character study or three? This life you live is a blessing, which you know well enough. There are people in the cities that haven't heard a kind word in months. MONTHS. Think of how fucked up that is, to live in a bustling metropolis, and have nobody know you're alive. Small town life is rich in humanity, and gossip, but its GREAT material. I envy you.

BigAssBelle said...

the quiet rural dogs & bears life sounds like heaven to me. as tater said, i think there are enormous benefits to NOT living in the city. we can all go GET a dose of city, but i do remember very well how i sometimes felt completely invisible in houston. at times that anonymity suited me, but there were other times it felt very, very lonesome.

Sling said...

Looking through your posts I see that you live in a wonderfully idyllic place!
I much prefer small town ambiance to big city indifference myself.

Dan said...

I love this post, except that I disagree with your conclusion. I believe the world is totally strange ALL the time! :)

And yes, we never know what's coming up around the corner. That's why it's so aggravating ... and so much fun. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

tate- you have a point.. I expect living in the city now would drive me crazy. It may not be perfect, but folks at least tend to generally behave in a civil manner to one another.

Miss Belle- True enough, I expect I would feel lonesome. Or get arrested for talking too much in the check out line ;)

Sling- I think these days the slower pace probably suits me better. Plus my kids don't have to go through a metal detector to get into school.

Dan- I really never knw what's going to be outside my door in truth ;)

Vic said...

I did the reverse from you,living in the idyllic small towns first. Everyone knew everyone. You were not allowed to have a bad day. If you did, everyone knew about it. Life consisted of getting up and watching the mist lift off the meadows, or going to sleep to the sight of fireflies dancing to a backdrop of mountains. I recall leaving letter in the mailbox and some money. The postman would add the stamps for us.

Gone are those Elysian Field days. But I love the bustle of the city and the close association I have with a few of my neighbors. When you own a dog in the city and go to the dog park as I do, no one is a stranger.

Great post.

Traveling Matt said...

hee hee...i had to google g.r.i.t.s. i'm thinking "she can't be talking about the food! sometimes i love small/country towns but i'm not right if i don't live in a city. chicago and nyc are my homes. camping and road trips are my treat!

Lorraine said...

If I lived in a small town I would probably chew my arm off BUT th fact that your hardware guy knew what you needed without a sample is one of heckuva a benefit. Sounds like a best of all worlds situation you got there. Superfantastic.