Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Strange fortune

Baby Sister thinks I'm crazy.... Brother #2 was hospitalized yesterday with chest pain. Guess who's getting a triple bypass tomorrow morning? I say this was most fortunate. I figure better a bypass WITHOUT a heart attack than a heart attack precipitating the need for a cardiac cath to find the blockage.. I'm weird like that. Frankly I think he's awfully lucky.

Brother #2 and I have had a rather complicated relationship the past few years, to put it mildly. No open hostility or anything really, we just ignored one another instead of having a knock down drag out. Personally I think that would have been healthier, but he's too passive (and occasionally passive-aggressive) for that. But he was man enough to make the first move to try and mend that fence, so we have tried to get past it and move on.

So I have to head to Carolina and see my strapping big brother weak as a kitten. Selfishly I really don't think I can handle that on some level. And when I say strapping, I mean big fella, strong as an ox from many years as a farrier. My truck driving, fly fishing, tough good old boy (who reads Kafka) brother, with his chest cracked open and helpless. Having trouble picturing with that.

Wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not. Been nagging him for years that the train wreck was going to come. Somehow saying "I told you so" isn't going to give me any satisfaction this time. Guess I'll keep my mouth shut for once in my life.

5 comments:

Dx said...

Give No.2 brother a hug. What have you got to lose?

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this news. We avoided a similar situation with stints, and it has been miraculous. Preventitive health care at its finest, allowed stints instead of bypass. A prayer for you, your brother and extended family sweetheart!

Sling said...

I think you're right about the no heart attack thing.Sounds like some lifestyle changes are in order.
Hope he recovers from surgery quickly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks y'all, the good thoughts are a comfort- for real, not just being polite and such.

BigAssBelle said...

ouch. so sorry to hear about this. i love my sisters dearly and can't imagine being in your shoes. good wishes to you getting through all of the (inevitable) family junk that comes along with situations like this, and especially to the brother. an ordeal, but perhaps a life-changing event and one that will let him be happier and healthier in the long run.