Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Today's underappreciated artist-

I always felt Robert Palmer's few successful songs actually derailed his career. He was quite prolific and was recording almost to his untimely death. His depth was far greater than those couple of catchy songs. So picking one was pretty hard- so here you go with a few of my personal favorites. Sadly i couldn't find a decent recording of Every Kind of People.

This remix of Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You was always one of my favorites, it really is a brilliant arrangement-




And Sneaking Sally Through the Alley was a real classic-



Those four or so hits were truly not the sum of this very talented man. And what a shame he went so young, who knows what else he'd have accomplished.

11 comments:

sageweb said...

Great videos...I had no idea he died...Hi its me I just crawled out from under a rock.

yellowdoggranny said...

i knew he had died..all i could think of was those great songs and video's back when mtv first got started...and what happened to mtv..doesn't the m stand for fucking music?.

Sling said...

Didn't he do puttin' on the Ritz?
I love that tune.

Doralong said...

Sage- Sad to say he did..

Granny- I've wondered that myself for quite a while now!

Sling- Humm, not that I am aware of. But I could have somehow missed it.

Anonymous said...

Sad indeed. He was a performer that was so very assured had such incredible class.

Mercy, Mercy Me will always be one of those songs that hits me on both a very chilled out, relaxed level as well as a melancholy, sadly reflective one.

Was nice to come across this today. Thanks.

Doralong said...

Al- He was a class act and a true gentleman. You just have to love the best dressed man in rock and roll, no?

evilganome said...

I loved Robert Palmer! I can't really choose one particular favorite, though I have many fond memories of the album "Double Fun".

Anonymous said...

You know, I always forget that I really liked him. Thanks for the reminder (:

Jeff said...

I love your taste in music- keep them coming, please

Elizabeth said...

Haven't heard those in ages. Some of the best from that time.

Doralong said...

EG- Don't we all ;)

Hat- My pleasure dear.

Jeff- I'm on a roll honey, stay tuned.

Elizabeth- He really was one of the better memories from that time period, for me at least.