Thursday, May 08, 2008

The Mother and Child Reunion.

The Mother and child relationship is frequently fraught with many a complication that simply doesn’t fit on your standard greeting card. Mother’s Day tends to bring up a lot of emotion, some good, some bad. For those that have a rocky relationship with their mother, it’s perhaps a time to try and step back and appreciate that she did the best she could under the circumstances. For those with an untenable relationship, a sad day wishing for a connection they might never have. For those that have lost a mother, it can be a day of both sadness and happy memories. I vote you go with the happy personally.

My relationship with Mamma was one of huge ups, and equally huge downs. The gory bits of which I shan’t get into for one simple reason- many years ago I made my peace with her and realized she did the best she could with what she had to work with. And all things considered, she really was a good mother, and in spite of my contrary nature and the fact that the universe conspired to rain undue amounts of ill fortune on her head- she loved us all, really and truly and gave it her best shot.

I like to think that trying to recall the good parts, as opposed to the ones that hurt me or made me angry isn’t denial. It happens to be my acceptance that life sometimes is wonderful and sometimes it just flat out sucks.. And sometimes, shit just happens and there’s nothing you can do about it. So for this Mother’s Day, I choose to remember the happy moments, and the things I really loved about her that made the unpleasant bits easier to dismiss as an adult.

Mamma was raised in a time and place that was a bit peculiar. She was to be polite, ladylike, marry well and be a perfect lady.. Yet her family tree was heavily littered with that near stereotype of southern woman that pulled a Scarlett and did whatever the hell she wanted..

She played sports, she went to real college, as opposed to a “school for young ladies”, she married for love, owned a business, modeled when it wasn’t something proper married women did, but did it all with such style that she was still “socially acceptable”. But I think she gave up a lot when she married Daddy, and even more when she had the four of us.

She was a piece of work, plain and simple. Watching her work the dining room was an education- she would swan into the room and you couldn't help but look. No denying she really was a genuinely beautiful woman, but it was more than that, when she turned it on there was a charisma that simply couldn't be denied. It was her element, every guest that walked into their restaurant would be subject to her personal attention, plumber or First Lady, it did not matter. Her staff both loved and feared her truthfully. She had a very discreet series of gestures for summoning and if you missed it, woe be unto you later.. trust me- I was on the tail end of that more than once.

But I think one of my favorite memories has to be when I was in junior high school- it was career day. Everyone else had their Dad come in. In strolls Mamma in this fabulous Pucci print dress and scarf with these huge Jackie shades. The entire class just sort of went “Huh?” She proceeded to explain the joys of killing yourself by being in the restaurant business for about five minutes. Then she launches into a lovely lecture about finding what really makes you happy. I totally had the coolest Mom in junior high school that day..

I think one of the hardest things for her to reconcile was being taken seriously. The most often heard comment at her funeral was “She was the most beautiful woman I ever knew”. Hey, she totally worked it, and she sure as hell used it to her advantage. Ok, it is what it is. But she was a beautiful woman that was also really smart, and very kind and she had about the most generous heart a human has the capacity to expand to. And I often wonder if her life might have been terribly different had she not been the beauty of the family. I always found it ironic that her sister wondered as well.. After mamma died her sister said to me “You know, I really think that if she’d have been a little plainer, her life would have taken a very different path “ I expect there's a lot of truth in that.

Perfect? No. Mother of the year? Probably not. But Mamma, you tried your best, you were a hell of a lot of fun during the good times, and you did always apologize, after a fashion, for the bad ones, and you had phenomenal taste and being your size was always a good thing!

As my dear friend Buddy likes to say “you roll the dice, you take your chances- and then you walk away.”

Or the one saying I always come up with that irritates the hell out of my kids "Sometimes it really just is what it is"

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you sweetheart. What a wonderful post to read this morning, and I appreciate the fact that you concentrated on her finer points. Obviously her many blessings have been instilled in you, we all know you got her good looks, but also her graces as well. If your intellect is the example, I'm sure your mother was brilliant! Thank you for this affirming post, and I will take it to heart as I visit with my mother and dear family friends from OK, who came up for the weekend to stay with her and my father.

Doralong said...

Tate- Love you too honey. Much like you, I just decided to unpack the baggage and let it go, life is way too short to expend that much energy and angst over things that never can be changed. No DeLorean or crazy scientist is going to come along and give me the chance to fix the past- her choices or mine. Kiss your sweet Mamma and enjoy yourselves, and I hope your Daddy is doing better. I earnestly pray for a harridan free zone for you this weekend so you can just relax and enjoy, sans drama!

yellowdoggranny said...

oh man...you're post made me wince...i loved it as a beautiful tribute to your mother..i wish i could do the same..long story...happy mothers day to you..

Lorraine said...

(blows nose loudly and dabs at eyes) That was beautiful, Cuz. Just beautiful.

evilganome said...

Great post honeybunch! I will try and remember your words of wisdom when I call Doris on Sunday. (Re: Mother's Day card, because I stood a chance of it arriving late, I got one that would make a normal human projectile vomit and then go into insulin shock. The general thrust is that Mother Teresa seems like Vlad the Impaler in comparison to my own sweet mother)

I hope your kids know what a great mom they have! Hope you get spoiled on Sunday.

Jeff said...

No, most families aren't quite the Waltons- humans are more complex than that.

"she loved us all, really and truly and gave it her best shot"

What more can you ask of anyone?

Lovely remembrance.

And I'm picturing her in that Pucci outfit.....

billy pilgrim said...

your mom sounds like a true child of the universe. she'd also make an excellent central character in a novel.

in short, she had style.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Truly.

So much of you comes through in this post; I think more than you know. Your mother does sound like she was a wonderful woman, made all the more human and real by your stellar descriptions here.

I was struck by two things overall.

"! like to think that trying to recall the good parts, as opposed to the ones that hurt me or made me angry isn’t denial. "

It's not denial. It's a bit of compassion and a bit of grace.

"And I often wonder if her life might have been terribly different had she not been the beauty of the family."

You've hit on something here that is an issue for many, many women, I think. When I hear you describe that I only hear insight, and I am reminded in many ways of my own mothers life.

Thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Doralong,

Came over from bluealto. What a wonderful post to find.

"She proceeded to explain the joys of killing yourself by being in the restaurant business for about five minutes. Then she launches into a lovely lecture about finding what really makes you happy"

Isn't it a wonderful thing to know that she was one of the few that know what that is like. so many never do.

Allison

sageweb said...

Great wonderful Post!
Your advice of picking out the good times is well taken. I will try my best. And You have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Doralong said...

Granny- Forget it then and just have your own self a very Happy Mother's Day!

Cuz- dry your pretty eyes now, you don't want to ruin your mascara..

Tony- I advise a glass of wine before calling, it always made it easier on me. Let me know if the missive made it on time or not ;)

Jeff- I like to think making an effort does actually count for something. And she really was totally fabulous in that outfit!

Billy- She had it in spades, totally. You either got sucked into her wake or got the hell out of the way..she was an original that's for sure.

Al- That's very kind of you dear. And it is an issue that haunted her and many other women, even now. The quest to be taken seriously is a whole other volume unto itself.

Allison- Thanks so much for dropping by dear. She indeed recognized it, I sincerely wish she'd have been able to actualize it. But then again she was never big on "what ifs"..

Sage- it's worth a try- forgiving tends to free you in an awful lot of unexpected ways.

Sling said...

I had the priveledge of growing up in a family populated with beautiful,and intelligent women.
And now,here in bloggertown,I find myself happily continuing that tradition.
Life is good!
Happy mother's day doll!

Elizabeth said...

I often tell my kids, "I know I'll mess up. I'm not perfect, but I do love you perfectly, so you'll just have to figure out how to forgive me for what I don't get right." Sounds like you've done that with your mother. May our children be as generous hearted and forgiving with us as you are here. Happy Mother's day, dear.

Doralong said...

Sling- That would be why you are the amazing man you are dear.

Elizabeth- There you have it plain and simple.

Willym said...

Sorry I'm coming to this a bit late - what you wrote says as much about you as it does about your mama. If at the end it can be said of us that, like her, we did our best what more can be asked?

Belated mother's day hugs...

Anonymous said...

Just now catching back up. Mother's Day is a tough one to be sure. Ditto Father's Day. It's a weird and complicated world.