Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I give myself excellent advice, I however rarely ever take it.

I should have heeded my own advice, asking “What next?” is an open invitation to more chaos.. But no, I had to open my big mouth..

I have indeed been much absent from blog land here of late due to overwhelming responsibilities requiring my attention. Also things have been such that anything that was likely to come out of my mouth would merely sound like annoying whining, and we know how I detest that..

Anyway, my thanks to my VGP for letting me ramble on, I do expect however when I pop up on caller ID , you most likely have to debate whether you pick up the phone or not, as it must be getting tiresome! But my loving thanks to Tater Bug, Tony and Al for stoically listening to me babble.. And Wills, check your junk email box dear, just in case I’ve landed there.. that or you just don’t love me anymore, sniffle… And all the lovely emails have been much appreciated dears, and to those of you that didn’t get a response, you’ll just have to forgive me this time.

Let’s see, where were we? The Beast is home convalescing. I’m somewhat concerned that he’s not progressing quite as well as either the doctor or I had presumed he would, but then again I will take slow over not at all any day of the week. My darling one and only nephew (son of Brother #1) had a rather nasty accident and crushed his right hand, numerous pins and a lengthy surgery later it appears that he’ll regain full use and all will be well. The Hurricane broke his right index finger playing football a few days ago, no shock there, the kid ought to have his own triage nurse by now honestly. The following day Brother #1, a generally cautious and methodical man if there ever was one, tried to sever his left index finger at work. All is well, no permanent damage.

The coup de gras to the hand related accidents (weird, huh?) I tried to slice my left thumb off the Thursday evening before Halloween while carving pumpkins. Thirty some odd years of disemboweling jack ‘o lanterns with nary a scratch and I had to pick now for the spectacular accident. Five stitches- and I have very small hands. Actually I was laughing my ass off as I was driving home from the ER.. I called Baby Sister and she was convinced I finally went off the high board and into the deep end. Hey, laugh or lose your mind.

Let’s see, other than that I have been much occupied at work. The general getting a brand new practice up and running and getting ready for a large open house to debut Doogie Houser MD to the community. Well we all know how I love to throw a party, but I’m having a bit of trouble getting into it truthfully, but hopefully it will indeed be a swell affair. My house looks like a herd of wildebeest migrated through and I find it very dismaying as I really haven’t had the time to address the accumulating chaotic mess. I tried hiring a wife/Beast sitter, it hasn’t worked out so well. Swell idea in theory, in practice I guess I chose the wrong candidate. Figuring I needed the help, a friend was unemployed and getting desperate so I pay her and everyone wins, right? Not so much. How do you tell someone you genuinely like that you don’t pay for napping on the job, and the point was to help me out not create even more work for me?? I couldn’t really afford it to begin with, but I had no choice as himself is still in need of a caregiver for a little while yet and it's a little hard to ask for 5 or 6 weeks off from a job you just started and actually do NEED. Another note to self- don’t hire friends it only leads to trouble..

The entire Executrix thing has been not only mildly annoying, but somewhat more emotionally upsetting than I would have anticipated. And I’m here to tell you, shopping for headstones is a real major bummer.

See, I told you it would all just end up sounding like whining. Gee, I guess that’s because it is. Be well dears, be safe and enjoy the thought that 1/20/2009 is closer with every passing day!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

storypeople said...

Send the Beast over here. We'll give him books to read and movies to watch and a kitty to curl up with AND we're both within whining distance. Well, if one whines very loud. Louder than the kitty cat. Or either one of us.

You ARE on a roll, aren't you? I like thinking for you that everyone is at least healing.

booda baby said...

Shit. Sorry about that. It's me. Not who I signed in as. At this hour, after a glass or three of wine, I'd like to say it's not my fault. It is, but I still want to say it.

Willym said...

Of course I still love you - even though you are trying to turn yourself into Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Check your e-mails today.

Baci di Roma

sageweb said...

Wow you need a hand faerie to protect your family..or maybe fairie cause chaos..oh well I dont know...hope things get better.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad that he's recovering, even if slowly. (I've been checking the blog and worrying for you all.)

Now, dear, I have some experience in this business, so I just want to tell you to take it easy on yourself whenever and wherever you can because you will inevitably have some symptoms of post traumatic stress. For me it was (and is still, to a lesser extent) fatigue, difficulty doing normal tasks (sorry housework!), difficulty sleeping for a month or so, and difficulty concentrating as I normally do. The first time I went through this with my husband, I couldn't read fiction for two years. So give yourself whatever breaks you can, though I know that in the beginning they're hard to come by. And eventually it will fade and then pass away, and you'll be your old dynamo self again.

And tombstone shopping for your father's grave... I'm actually doing that too now. And it's utterly bizarre. Hang in there. xoxo

evilganome said...

As you know my darling, I always love talking to you. As I suspect Al and his Taterness do too.

You folks are focused I will give you that. All hand injuries! It must be like trying to organize a synchronized swimming team.

Good luck with everything else. At least you have the dogs to look after the beast, they seem to be good at that. Too bad you can't train them to do housework.

Sling said...

Damm..I hope every one recovers soon.
Do you guys have to team up to tie each other's shoes?

Doralong said...

Booda- Don't be silly, I knew it was you anyway ;) You're my favorite storyperson..

Wills- I was getting a little pasty looking by the time I hit the ER truthfully.

Sage- I'll have to find out if there's a patron protector of hands in some pantheon somewhere and offer up appropriate sacrifice.

Elizabeth- I keep assuming it'll just fade on out of here. Wow, sorry to hear that! And it is sort of surreal, isn't it?

Tony- More like herding cats honey.

Sling- Pretty much! I've been amazed at how handy the left thumb is to have around for a right handed person! Awkward indeed- I had to swallow my pride the other evening and have Miss Thing lace up my sneaks, pitiful- I know.

Tate said...

Oh honey...
It's high time we had a chat. Here I am lost in my own little world, when you are suffering even worse than I. So sorry you have too much on your plate. You know if I was closer, I would cook you up a batch of my special brownies, put you down for a nap, and clean your house.

more cowbell said...

Goodness, are you all trying to prop up our ailing health care system all by your damn selves?! Willym, please light some candles for this bunch!

I'll type the requisite "please remember to take care of yourself", although I have a sneaking suspicion that will only do but so much good. But seriously ... do look out for yourself. Take it from another mom, they'll fall apart without you, girl, stay healthy.