Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I fully realize I’m a bit early. But given the week ahead it’s now or never kids..

It’s going to be a bit sad I expect not having the Old Fart around to arm chair chef the entire meal.. Not surprisingly holidays were all about the food in my household growing up. Presents and all are swell, but when do we eat and what are we having??? As he aged and allowed his daughters to more or less take over the turning out the feast duties, he resigned himself to parking on a barstool with a glass of wine and making sure the two of us didn’t do anything contrary to the proper way, ie: HIS way. With the exception of the dressing, because truthfully he really was the only one that made it right, and I’ve been trying for 20 or more years.

Dora, did you brine that turkey overnight?

Yes, Daddy of course I did..

Baby Sister, did you bring that bag of sage we cut this morning? I don’t want any of that dried stuff on the bird.

Yes Pop, it’s right here...

Dora, did you make cornbread last night so I can make dressing?

Yes Daddy, I did..

You made pecan and pumpkin pies, right?

Yes Daddy, look right over there on the sideboard..

And on and on it would go until supper time. Two grown women, one of them a genuine chef with a degree, being bullied by their father- comical actually. There is however a reason Baby Sister and I usually managed to finish a bottle of wine before dinner..

So here’s to you Daddy, we’ll miss you this year and I’ll sing “Alice’s Restaurant” just for you- And for you lucky souls that won’t be in the kitchen for the performance- take it away Arlo..





Peace and all good blessings upon all your houses.

10 comments:

Willym said...

Irritating? Sounds it! Comical? Yes definitely! Touching? Yes, because even though it was his way it became yours.

An early informal Happy Thanksgiving my love, more formal greetings will follow.

baci di arachova - I have no idea how the heck you say that in Greek.

Sling said...

Every father knows that if you want something done right,you have to supervise the entire operation from your barstool.
Memories serve to save his place at the table.
Happy pre-Thanksgiving dear!

sageweb said...

I would have finished two bottles, but how fun, you truly had a family event. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Doralong said...

Wills- All true. I expect the menu won't deviate one bit from custom this year in honor of the old boy. Glad Greece has been so much fun for you!

Sling- He had that one down pat buddy, trust me. To you as well and best to LK, Newt and the Mom of LK as well.

Sage- Anything involving eating ends up being an event, or a circus, in my world..

evilganome said...

With a father that is the only person in the world who knows how to do anything right, I had to nod in sympathy.

It's tough when loved ones are no longer there for holidays.

Here's to a very happy Thanksgiving for the Doralong family. I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and your sister can reminisce and laugh a little this Thanksgiving.

Elizabeth said...

And you'll need to down that bottle of wine this year, for different reasons. Hang in there dear!

Tate said...

A blessing on your house this Thanksgiving, my dear. It will be a difficult day for many of us this year. Thank goodness for an excuse to stuff down emotions with food! Love you sis.

booda baby said...

It's never a good idea to comment when I can see Sling's (JP, too. Those two).

So. I'll keep it simple and hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. It seems like you'll have some sweet reminiscing to serve up.

Jeff said...

Well, dear virtual sister, you know that we are approaching the holiday on a very similar footing.

Much love to you and your family this year. Make him a part of the celebration, I'm sure he will be there with his clipboard.