Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Never saw that coming-

Busy Tuesday morning.. Had lots of crap to drop at the various offices I’m freelancing for, got a flu shot, did the parent teacher conference for the Hurricane, stopped to vote.. All of which led me back to the gas station/general store at the foot of the mountain to mortgage the house to fill the tank before I head on up.

Heading out of the store I hear someone calling me by a nickname. Warning- major digression ahead- Most of my close friends can be easily marked as to the number of years we’ve been friends by what they call me. If you’ve known me quite some time and we’re close, just my first initial. Just “C”. If you knew me back when raptors roamed the earth (i.e.- before the Beast and I tied the knot) the initials of my first and middle name.. “C.C.”

Imagine my shock as I hear someone calling frantically “C.C.!!!” Huh? I see a man in a beautifully tailored suit standing next to a rather nice looking Mercedes jumping up and down screaming a name reserved only for people I know very, very well.. and I have no fucking clue who the hell this is. As the daughter would say, “Oh my- AWKWARD”

Doing the only thing I could do, I strolled on over, trying like hell to figure out who this could possibly be. No clue.. Zip, zero, nada..

So I get this huge bear hug from some guy that obviously knows me and I’m trying like hell to make a connection.. The second he let go and I looked into his eyes and was really able to really hear his voice it hit me.. JAMES!!!!!!!!! What the hell are you doing here??

James was the bass player in the first band I ever fronted for. So you’ll have to understand da hard core blues scraggly boy had morphed into some dude in a Hugo Boss suit driving a fucking Mercedes.. I wasn’t tracking. Never would have seen that one coming in a million years.

So I’m happy as hell to see this old friend. But I’m like- man, how the hell did you recognize me? Back in the “day” yours truly sported butt length hair, as opposed to the inch and a half length I roll with these days. (Yeah Tate- boggles the mind doesn’t it?) So James laughs his ass off and says “You’re still you bitch” Aren’t old friends the best thing ever??

Invited him up to the casa, but he was heading south to check out a group Blacksburg- he’s an east coast “talent scout” of sorts for a record label these day, go figure- he had obligations. But we’ve made plans for the trip back after seeing the kids play on Thursday, and are already yakking about a reunion for the old crew, just for us. I admit, just once I would like for my kids to see the Mom sing on stage, just once for the hell of it. But more than anything else, just to have a chance to sing with the boys again- they were a wild bunch, but all very, very talented and creative people, and they enriched my life a great deal just by having the chance to hang around with them.

Random chance, karma, whatever you want to call it, can sometimes come back to haunt you in a very happy way.

13 comments:

Lorraine said...

How randomly awesome. And I'd like to hear you sing, too.

more cowbell said...

Wow! talk about a day-maker! I can imagine it would be absolutely awesome for you guys to hook up and sing again. And how great it must've felt to still be recognized as "you". After seeing those dress pics though, I am so not surprised. Do keep us updated - very cool.

Anonymous said...

You are a musician?!?! I should really do more archive reading...

Doralong said...

Lorraine- it really was randomly awesome!

CB- I was awfully nice to be recognized twenty-I ain't saying precisely- some odd years later, I have to admit.

Hat- nope, a singer many moons ago.. The only thing I can actually play is cards and the lottery.. and tennis.

Anonymous said...

What? Back story please! You are definitely hot enough to front a band. I love karmic reunions! What a daymaker...

Jeff said...

It's a game of Universe Tag, and you are "it". Enjoy!

Kimberly Ann said...

Gotta love serendipity.

Eric said...

I see that your commenting all over the Spouses blog so I thought I would stop by are read some random ruminations.
I love Heinlein too but I can only take so much before I toss him across the room. Time enought for Love was really an attitude setter for me though.
Now come home fluffy you have to get the kid to Volley Ball

Elizabeth said...

Cudos to you for still being recognisable. I'm not sure if the men from my past would recognise me. And I'm not sure I'd WANT them to!

Willym said...

So obviously you still got what it is that made you you back then. What he probably recongnized was the spirit... and I don't mean hooooo spirit.. you know what I mean.

And it is time to get my eyes checked ... those letters are all wavy!

Doralong said...

Tater bug- I'll tell you the whole, long lurid tale some day- promise.

Jeff- I often end up being "it" in that game, and I am never quite sure why.

KA- Indeed! It does keep life interesting, doesn't it?

Eric- Awfully nice of you to drop in, had I known you were coming I'd have had something ready for you.. Time Enough for love really influenced a lot of my point of view about a great many things in my life as well. and yep- he wrote a lot of trash to pay the bills- but did indeed produce some gems. Do stop in again sometime.

Elizabeth- Yes, well there are more than a few I would hope wouldn't recognize me truthfully.. I don't know, I pretty much think I still look like me- just minus 3 feet or so of hair and plus wrinkles..

Willym- I think we call that my bitchy attitude dear.

evilganome said...

Ain't it great when people pop up out of the past and when they do, their lives are completely different, but they are the same? Hope you get together to hang out and catch up. I'm with Tater here. I want some dirt honey. Spill it!

Doralong said...

EG- we got to do a little hang time, and it was really sweet to catch up on the last twenty some odd years. I love my kids more than my own life, truly I do. But to have someone there that remembers me as a solo act was a breath of fresh air to my psyche.

And what is it with you boys and the need to hear the lurid, sordid tales of my woefully misspent youth?

No Hat- no pictures of me in leather pants survive, so don't even start..