Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ohana-

Is a word that has always resonated with me, as defined by the following:

’Ohana can actually mean much more than the dictionary definition of family. ’Ohana can describe a community, a circle of friends, who share common goals and values.

Having kids, I also liked the definition in the movie Lilo & Stitch:
“Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten.”

We’ve always had an Ohana that spreads well beyond the immediate family unit. Which is generally a delightful thing. Our “adopted” kids are now numbered somewhere around twelve or so. They started numbering themselves, don’t ask me why. But either way, they are always welcome and all know which fridge the juice is in and where to find the extra TP. And any number of stray adults that the kids all refer to as “Aunt” or “Uncle” -in spite of a complete lack of blood relation there.. and it’s all good.

My concept of Ohana got tested today. I got a call from a young woman I worked with many years ago, we’ve stayed in sporadic touch, and I always thought she was a good kid. We get together on occasion, but it’s not like an exceptionally close relationship by any means.

She and her husband and two kids got evicted and have been living in their car for two days.. They have no family near by, no Ohana either.. Left side of the brain would never let a child sleep in a car if I could do anything about it. Right side of the brain realizes- not mine to raise and this could turn in to a long term commitment we’re not necessarily in a position to deal with financially. Crap!!! So, the left and right got together for a conversation and decided to call a family meeting.

The Beast is all for a short term assistance mission, the Hurricane got all sad thinking about little people in such a situation, Miss Thing agreed this was a nasty state of affairs, but wanted some limits set on this situation clearly defined for her prior to any further discussion or agreement. This house is not big enough for 8 people (two of them under 5) to live for anything other than a very short period of time..

Guess who’s coming to dinner?? I spent two hours researching transitional housing programs that are available in their “last county of residence”- which is the defining criteria for such assistance. Have numbers, applications printed and such.

How far do I go here? The mom and compulsive organizer/fixer wants to take charge, but I fear that’s the wrong thing to do on multiple levels.. But conversely I fear without some strong guidance from someone (not necessarily us) this situation is going to go south real damn quick..

If it was just me it would be one thing- but I’m involving my kids and husband in this scenario.. Have I done the right thing? We decided two weeks was about as far as we can afford this either financially or in the space and intrusion department. Have I gone too far? Am I doing too little??? Aw hell- what do I do??

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very noble and brave to attempt this, and I wish you well. I think your idea of helping them find assistance is great. I think your idea of housing them is big hearted, kind, and beautiful. The practical side of me says don't do it, or at least, don't do it for very long. My heart goes out to those children, and I don't know the circumstances of the parents. If drugs or alcohol played a role in their present situation, I would be very careful extending yourself. It may wind up hurting you and your family, and enabling addictive behavior. I hope they are just having hard times, because thats easier to rectify. Are there any church organizations that may be able to house them temporarily, or help with the funds necessary for others to help? TOUGH TOUGH situation. Please be careful, as well as being the humanitarian we know and love.

Unknown said...

What about helping them get another apartment? Putting down a deposit would not create a situation in your own home that could prove to be very dysfunctional. Just thinkin...

Lorraine said...

Pretty much what Tater said. Y'all are gonna have to trust your gut on this...boundaries are going to be real important. As T. pointed out, if this is just a "fell on hard times" sort of thing it will be "easier" than if they're in this mess because of behavior for which they are culpable.

You get snaps for the big heart...

(((Doralong & Fam)))

Elizabeth said...

Everything everyone above said makes sense. And one thing I would add, is that looking after the safety of your kids is a critical element here. If substance abuse is involved, you should think hard about it. that being said, I would feel exactly the way you do; if there's a child in need, how can I possibly turn away from that? it's a tough situation but, at the end of the day, you have to be able to live with the choice you make. Can you live with saying no? (I couldn't) Is it a risk? Absolutely. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Java said...

Oh, baby, I know where you are in this situation. Been there, done that, got the bruises. You have just given me a good idea for a blog post. In short: we, a family of 6, took in a family of 7 when we lived in a rented house with 3 bedroom and only 1 bath. There were 4 children in the potty-training stage. It was either a nightmare or hilarious, depending on how medicated I was.
So, I've done this myself, but not well, so I have no advice. Just sympathy.

In other news, I just discovered your blog. Got here by way of Tater by way of Joe.My.God. by way of ... oh, hell, I can't remember who all I've clicked on today. But I like your blog. I'll be back. (from my childhood:"Is that a threat or a promise?")

more cowbell said...

Holy Home Invasion, Batgirl! Wow that is a tough one. Everyone has pretty covered the points that came to mind. Ditto Elizabeth - strongly - on a different stance if drug use or similar behaviors are any part of this equation. Boundaries, again, strongly. Good luck to you - this won't be easy for anyone involved. However, who knows where any of us may end up? Good on you for extending that humanity out ...

Doralong said...

Tate- Noble is pushing it honey.. like way out there. The transitional housing program I found offers financial counseling and a mentor/coach program, which is what I think is needed here.

Everyone Else- Dora is a pragmatic girl, no worries. They'll be arriving this afternoon, and I have only promised one night at this point. At which time the adults will sit down and have a long conversation regarding the matter at hand. And either way, two weeks-period. I gather it's a strictly financial disaster, and my bullshit detector is pretty finely honed, so we'll see what the rest of the day brings.

Java- Well guess I better lay in some Xanax or some wine.. Thanks for stopping by! Drop in any old time!

Kimberly Ann said...

Your heart is in the right place, as is your brain telling you to set up some boundaries. I think you can have it both ways - help these folks on the short term. My two cents - people that need help in this way also need a strong hand to get them back on the path, so I wouldn't open my door without being an active part of the solution.

Anonymous said...

As someone who used to always rely on the kindness of strangers (and not so strangers. And not so strangers couches) a little bit goes a long way. Trust me. You done good.

Willym said...

I thought I had posted a comment but it appears it didn't take. Pretty much agree with Tater and the rest on this. It is a wonderful thing you are doing but there must be limits: time, financial and emotion - particularly as it involves your own family.

You've done some of the ground work for them - give what you've found to them and see what they do with it. That should indicate what they are willing to put into guaranteeing their own survival.

Please keep us posted and know that thoughts, prayers and concerns are with you.

Elizabeth said...

Just wanted to add one thing. My husband comes from a seriously messed-up home - alchoholism, neglect, and much more. And one of the things about unhealthy families in general, and his in particular, is that they close themselves off from the outside world - so as not to be judged and not to be made aware of how twisted their home life is. So I just want to tell you, girl, you're packin' some seriously good mental health, you and that large, flexible group you call your own.

Sling said...

I've been on both sides of this fence,for better and worse.
Set the ground rules up front,and stick to them.
You're a good hearted person!

Elizabeth said...

Just wondering how it's going with you and the crazy crowded house.....

Anonymous said...

Update please!